Sunday, January 17, 2016

Losing myself...


In research. Again.

I have a one-scene chapter in which the MC travels abroad. I needed local color, smells, tastes, sounds, etc.

The year is 1868, the locale is exotic, and--oh my gosh--once I began searching, I couldn't stop. Didn't want to stop, is more apt, for each intriguing page I found led to more intriguing pages.

And, as I often do, I spun off on a tangent, moving past research that I needed on to research that I simply wanted, not satisfied until I reached the end of the story, usually many years past the one I needed.

Google is a blessing and a curse for a procrastinator.

Which brings me to some quotes I found while killing time (procrastinating).

So true:

Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment. ~Robert Benchley

So ominous:

Procrastination is the grave in which opportunity is buried. ~ Author Unknown

So humorous, naughty, but true:

Procrastination is like masturbation. At first it feels good, but in the end you're only screwing yourself. ~Author Unknown


--Cat -- getting to work

1 comment:

Photonian said...

I found this post by starting at a different link you sent me. I can't remember how far down the forked road I went to get here but it sure was interesting and beat the hell out of packing. The quote at the end of your post is hilarious and can be applied to so many situations.

R & P laughing our asses off.